Sago Pudding with Palm Sugar (Sago Gula Melaka)
- 200g sago
- 200g palm sugar, roughly chopped
- 250ml coconut milk
- 1 pandan leaf
- 700ml + 2tbsp water
- a pinch of salt
1. Boil water in a saucepan, add in sago. Keep stirring to make sure that the pearls do not clump together. Cook until sago pearls become translucent.
2. Strain and wash away excess starch in running cold water.
3. In individual small glasses or cups, scoop enough individual portion of sago pearls. Put in the fridge to set and chill.
4. In a saucepan, pour in coconut milk with the screwpine/pandan leaf tight into a knot. Put in a pinch of salt. Boil at low heat and stir constantly. When it starts to bubble, remove from heat and strain into a bowl then set aside to cool.
5. In another saucepan, melt the palm sugar with 2 tablespoons of water on a low heat. Once become syrupy, set aside to chill.
6. Once sago is set and chilled, serve each individual portion with palm sugar syrup and coconut milk.