- 125 g vermicelli rice noodles
- a wedge of red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 2 small cucumbers (I used Lebanese as they have thinner skin), sliced into half moons
- 1 Romano pepper, sliced thinly
- 2 small spring onions, sliced thinly
- a handful of mint AND/OR coriander
- ¼ cup roasted (unsalted) peanuts OR cashews
- ¼ cup / 4 tbsp tamari (for GF version) OR soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or lime juice
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil (for flavour)
- 1 tbsp neutral tasting oil
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 2-3 tsp hot chilli paste (I used Indonesian sambal oelek), adjust to taste
Prepare vermicelli noodles according to the instructions on the packet. Mine required plunging into boiled water for 2 minutes and then refreshing under a cold tap. Set aside and let them cool down.
Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
Crush roasted peanuts (or cashews) in a pestle & mortar. If you cannot get roasted unsalted nuts, you can always toast raw nuts on a hot frying pan.
Once the noodles are cold, place them in a large bowl and toss vegetables, spring onions and herbs through them. Use your hands to distribute all ingredients evenly. Finally massage the dressing into the salad.
Divide between two bowls and top with crushed nuts.