- 2 lbs cooked chicken, chopped or shredded (you can use white or dark meat, whichever you prefer, cooked however you like: pan-seared, roasted, grilled, or poached... my favorites are grilled thighs, or breast meat when I roasted a whole bird. I've also been known to grab a store bought rotisserie chicken when I'm in a rush -- they work just as well for this recipe, and are a great way to save time)
- 1 red apple, cored and diced (I like to use a sweet eating variety, like fuji or honeycrisp)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bulb fennel, cored and diced
- 3-4 TBSP fennel fronds, chopped
- ½-3/4 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped (or you can use dried cranberries)
- ¾-1 cup real mayonnaise, to taste (depending on how creamy you like it -- I find that white meat needs a bit more, while dark meat is good with less)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: ½-3/4 cup walnuts or pecan, roughly chopped
Gently mix everything except the mayonnaise, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add about ½-3/4 cup mayonnaise, and mix to combine. Add more mayonnaise as needed to coat everything evenly. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Salad stores well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
This salad is delicious on its own, over a bed of lettuce, or as a sandwich or wrap. Soft sandwich bread is great, and brings back memories of my childhood, but I'm also a big fan of rustic french or italian bread. Just add some greens, a few slices of red onion if you like, and you're good to go!